View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 12:33 PM

Thank you for your responses. Doc did say he wants to do the BMB first, and also he doesn't want to use Granix so he'll know any increased counts are from the Vidaza. I go back in 2 weeks to give him my decision. At this point I will say yes to BMB and starting Vidaza if there are excess blasts in the marrow. He says if not in the marrow, then the excess blasts in blood are a result of the Granix and we wouldn't necessarily need to start Vidaza.

He is looking down the road to transplant after about 6 months, though, when I'll be eligible for Medicare (I have no other insurance). He's thinking to get me as healthy as possible ahead of the transplant. He says I should do it while I'm still young (haha, his words, I'm 64 now). He wants me to meet with a transplant team between now & then, and says they may want me on Vidaza anyway. He is a general oncologist. I live in NJ and the two hospitals that do these transplants here are Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick and Hackensack in Hackensack. RWJ is about an hour away from me and Hackensack is an hour and a half. Hackensack does over 400 stem cell tranplants a year. I didn't see RWJs numbers anywhere.

My husband is 15 years older than me and he would not be able to be my caretaker. I don't have a large extended family support system and my grown kids have serious problems of their own. I'm currently raising one of my granddaughters so this is going to be complicated.

Gotta go to pharmacy and get another antibiotic script. Will check back later for any more responses. Thanks again. Jo
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.