View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 10:08 PM

Hi, Cheryl--Yes, I agree that calling my husband's problem "nutritional anemia" seems off-base. Actually, the GP he first went to when he was turned away from blood donation due to a low hematocrit was very insistent that he needed to have additional testing when his lab work showed pancytopenia precisely because he said that healthy middle-aged men don't just turn up with anemia or pancytopenia because they eat a vegetarian diet. It's the hematology folks who came up w/ the combined AA/nutritional anemia label. For a while, too, we were focused on MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance) b/c my husband had a small monoclonal IgM spike. But after about a year that went away and now he has a polyclonal IgM spike, which is less worrisome. No, so far no infusions for the IgG. The clinic notations just say that they are an option for in case he decides he wants to give them a try or they decide to encourage him to do so. After hearing what you've had to say about how they've helped, I'm going to spend some time reading up on them. Hope all is well!