View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 08:20 PM

Jo,

I have experienced IV Vidaza on two separate occasions, once for 3 months and a second time for 6 months. The sessions are pretty straight forward, you get blood counts checked, take some form of anti-nausea medication, then receive the dose over about 20 to 30 minutes.

I did not experience any nausea or other side-effects during treatment week, but the following week as blood counts got to the nadir (lowest point) I would get a little tired. I have read that some people experience changes in bowel habits either direction. One risk is that since your numbers are depressed, you may be more susceptible to infection and fatigue - but with your white counts, it may not make that much of a difference.

I have talked to some people who have received both Vidaza and Neupogen, so they can be used together.

Vidaza usually takes a few months to reach peak effectiveness, but many people see results within the first couple of months. As to how it can improve already depleted white counts, Vidaza basically tries to reform the marrow so that it can produce more and better quality blood cells.

Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.