Thread: Jill's Journey
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 23, 2010, 01:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill2008 View Post
I know there is a list on this site of recommended items to bring. I think I am pretty well prepared, but thought there might be a few suggestions that I didn't think of.
There's a discussion of what to bring to the hospital in squirrellypoo's thread and I'm sure you'll run into other suggestions too.

One patient recommended hard candy or gum to deal with bad odors/tastes. Other patients have mentioned bringing family photos and a notebook to keep track of everything -- instructions and pamphlets and paperwork the hospital gives you, plus anything you want to scribble down. You said you got a big transplant binder. We had the same thing so we added more tab dividers and blank paper and used it for recordkeeping. Your computer would work for note-taking too, as long as you keep it charged up. Ideally, your family can be couriers for whatever you discover you need or don't need as you go.

You might ask the hospital about security, since you don't want your computer or other valuables to walk off, and you can't watch your stuff when you're asleep and your husband isn't in the room. Maybe they have a recommendation other than "don't bring anything of value."

The most important thing to have with you during a transplant is your caregiver. I'm glad your husband will be there. Depending on circumstances (jobs, family responsibilities, logistics, etc.) some patients can't have a caregiver with them and it's hard to stay sharp and keep track of things when you're the patient, sleeping a lot, on medication, and/or feeing lousy. Hooray for spouses!

Quote:
To Neil or Ruth-Is there any way to change the title of my thread to Jill's Journey? (missed a letter) oops!
Yes. It's the least we can do!