Thread: Jill's Journey
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 11:34 AM

A couple things I appreciated:

* chapstick (my lips got really dry)
* tanktops with built-in shelf bra for sleeping (I would tuck my hickman line inside my bra when not in use during the day, but at night it would get caught up and pull a bit if it wasn't contained)
* button-down shirts (so you can change in and out without having to disconnect the hickman line)
* slippers with a firm sole (in case of sharps)
* Juice-boxes of Hershey's chocolate milk (my room had a fridge and since these were sealed and UHT, they were approved for my neutropenia. A true taste of my childhood when I needed comfort. You can't usually get Hershey's in the UK, and these tasted SO good even when my tastes were really out of whack)
* silk/artificial flowers really cheer up a room when you can't have the real thing
* nice smelling shampoo (because my hair didn't fall out until 3 weeks after the first chemo dose!)

Photo collages are a great idea! I found them really nice to look at, and gave the nurses something to talk about when they came in! And if you need to move rooms, it's a lot easier to move one poster than a bunch of individual photos....

Oh, and my mom is big into Relay for Life! I'll get her to do an extra few laps for you this year, okay?
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)