Thread: Jill's Journey
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 02:24 PM

Ahead of Schedule!

Hi everyone!
I was told by a few transplant survivors to be flexible because dates change and are often postponed for a variety of reasons. Please tell me why mine is now ahead of schedule? I will not be receiving TBI as planned, only chemo! We leave for Stanford at 5am Monday morning. I have catheter placement at 11am and will be admitted at 4pm that afternoon. They want to begin chemo early on Tuesday with 16 doses of Busulfan over a period of four days. I shouldn't experience any side effects with this drug, but it does have a slight risk of causing seizures. They will put me on an anti-seizure medication to minimize this risk. Following Busulfan, I will be given two days of Cytoxan. This has multiple side effects but I will be given medications to help reduce them. My doctor is confident that by using this combination of drugs we can obtain the same result (detstroying my immune system and the MDS completely) with less toxic damage to by body. My donor is an international, a 47-year-old male. I'm thinking he is possibly from Europe, due to the fact I have heritage there. My grandparents came over to America from England. His stem cells will be flown to the US and delivered to Stanford by courier. This whole process just amazes me.
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Laura, my carepages site is jillsjourney2acure. Sorry for the misprint. I have corrected it in my earlier post. Got to go! So much to do in three days!!!
Sincerely,
Jill
Jill, 58 y/o female dx with MDS-U June 2008, IPSS:Int. 2. Allogeneic SCT May 25, 2010. Relapsed January 2011. Started Vidaza (azacitadine) Feb. 2011; Currently on cycle #58 , IV, 5-days every six weeks. WBC 5.3, Hgb 13.0, PLT 110 (2/16/18)