View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 09:55 PM

Meri, I am not a doctor but I would be surprised if the MDS and your digestive system problem were related. My doctors started talking stem cell transplant at my first diagnosis(RAEB-II). They started me (injections) on a drug called Vidaza (azacitidine) immediately. I was on this drug for eight months to get my blast count under control and my red, white and platelets in an OK range. It is best to go into the transplant in as good of health as possible. Perhaps you won't need a transplant. Keep in mind also that the younger a person has the transplant, the better the chances for a positive outcome.

As a side-note, my stem cells came from a 20 year-old male living in Germany. They flew the cells overnight and I got them the next day. They had tested for a match previously. I went into the transplant with A+ blood type and came out with O+ blood.