View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 3, 2016, 10:11 AM

Hi, Meri--Sorry about this additional worrisome news. I have a relative who had lung cancer, and his most obvious symptom once he became symptomatic was coughing--serious coughing, painful. An itchy throat sounds more like allergies to me. Night sweats could perhaps be (peri)menopause related? Ditto for nausea. Or, yes, perhaps the symptoms are from latent TB, but maybe not.

I don't mean at all to minimize your fears, in other words, but this could be a false alarm. After my husband turned up with pancytopenia and was subjected to a battery of tests to try to determine the cause, his CT scan revealed some kind of granulomas in his lungs (I think that's what they were called), but they were considered a benign condition and evidently are not uncommon.

It's really hard in the initial days after a diagnosis not to go into a hyper-vigilant state of constant worry and assuming the worst. If this does turn out to be a false alarm, perhaps you can focus on educating your caregivers on developing better strategies for conveying information. My husband's initial hematologist conveyed incomplete initial information to us over the phone, which left me having a completely needless panic attack in the middle of the night. We decided he was too arrogant to be educable and instead sought out a different hematologist.

take care, barbara