View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 30, 2018, 12:33 AM

Genealogy DNA testing and stem cell transplants

I've just leaned about recipients' dna changing to donor's dna after stem cell transplants. So, if you're interested in dna testing for genealogical reasons, get tested before you have a transplant.

https://www.watersheddna.com/blog-an...splantgedmatch

But this also brings up a questions and ideas. I've read about mutations showing up, or disappearing, after transplant. This could be the reason, of course. And also, in genealogy, they get matches by comparing your dna results to someone else's, including mutations. I wonder if this has anything to do with finding 'matches' for transplants.

It's late and this is too complicated of a topic for me right now, but just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else is interested.

My own journey to transplant is on hold while time tics by waiting for medicare coverage. Does make me rethink my non-belief in socialized medicine a bit.
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.