Thread: Vitamin K2 + D3
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 3, 2007, 06:03 PM

Because these are vitamins there are no insurmountable obstacles in creating your own trial although your doctor's approval would be advisable if only in monitoring any adverse effects on elevated calcium levels (which has not occurred in my case).
The dosage is 45mg Vit K2 daily and 0.75micrograms Calciotrol (not the normal Vitamin D3) taken orally every day. In Japan they seem to give it 6 months to see if there are results.
You may have trouble finding Vit. K2 capsules as opposed to Vitamin K capsules which include K1, K2 and K3. In Australia they were imported for me direct from Japan where they are manufactured as "Glakay" by Eisai Co. Ltd. in Tokyo. They are also more cheaply available in Bangkok, Thailand where the same capsules are repackaged for the local market under the same brand name and packaging.
You should do your own search on this therapy - look up "Vitamin K2 and MDS" or have a look at reports by mainly Japanese researchers especially Professor Miyazawa. There was also a paper presented at the 2005 ASH conference.
Frankly I think it is worth discussing with your doctor as there seems there is almost nothing to worry about regarding adverse side efects etc. and the cost is hardly a burden.
Good luck,

Ken Whiteman