View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 12:04 AM

Glad to see you're hanging in there!

Hi Susan and Ron,

I'm glad to hear you're both still hanging in there. Your counts can certainly drive you crazy, especially when they seem to be only moving south.

My hematologist only looked at Hgb also when deciding on a transfusion, but he didn't like my Hgb to go lower than 8.5. However, as my body got more used to lower levels, 8.5 felt pretty good, and I convinced him to let me wait until it hit closer to 7 before a transfusion. He never gave much credence to the hematocrit. (along those lines, Susan, I'd feel pretty happy about 9.4!).

Of course, everyone feels differently at different levels, and I've always felt pretty strongly that one should be allowed to decide for oneself (I agree, Hopeful, hold off) when a transfusion is needed. There are too many other problems associated with frequent transfusions - the dreaded iron build-up, and consequent need for chelation (with its own set of problems), risk of development of antibodies (making it harder to find compatible blood). It's as though we are constantly playing dominoes, and waiting for them all to collapse - but have some faith in your ability to stay in the game.

On another note, Ron, the cancer center where I go does offer wellness services, one of which is two sessions of Reiki. I did take advantage of that (even though it's supposed to help boost your immune system - counter-productive for someone using IST), but, darn, did it make me feel great!

Try not to obsess about your counts, a bit up or down doesn't mean so very much in the scheme of things, and it's really all about how you cope with the counts that you have.

Be strong,
Gloria