View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 12:36 PM

Possible Relapse

Due to dropping blood counts, my doctor performed a biopsy at about day 150 instead of the normal 180. 1 of the 21 cells karyotyped had a few different chromosomal problems - +4, +8, +12, +19, +20 I think. The other cells were normal, but as it would appear, this means either that these were missed in prior biopsies due to sampling, or that the MDS clone has returned. I still have GVHD which we are treating, and will begin photopheresis next week to work on the GVHD while weaning me off of prednisone.

I started with Vidaza on 8/18 and will probably be on it for some time. At this point, we are not looking at DLI or re-transplant as I don't have any marrow blasts, there is tri-lineage maturation without dyspoeisis, but there is the chromosome damage. the hope is that the vidaza will give my donor's marrow enough of a boost to enhance the graft versus mds effect. I am still showing 100% donor in the marrow and peripheral blood.

I view this as a bump in the road and feel fortunate that we may have caught this relapse really early in the process.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.