View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 02:51 PM

Hi, Halo!

I forgot to mention that, at least for my dad, one unit of pRBC's raises his Hgb by about 1 point (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less). It does seem like your dad's numbers don't increase as much as per unit of blood as some others do. There are several people on the forum who are really knowledgeable about the actual MDS process and may be able to shed light on why your dad's response to transfusions seems low. My dad's WBC and platelets are very low as well, and we do notice significant differences in his response to platelet infusions each time (sometimes a 30 point increase that lasts for 3 or 4 days, sometimes a 5 point increase that doesn't last more than a day)- don't know why and can't get a good answer from the doctors.

Bailie made a great point! I hope your doctor is really listening to you and taking the time to answer your questions.

Your comment was really sweet - it does feel very lonely dealing with this disease, but you are not alone, and everyone on here wishes you all the best and can understand what you and your dad are going through! Continued wishes for good luck and a happy new year!!