View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 3, 2012, 11:28 AM

Blood Test Results

Don't you just hate that: "Come in so we can discuss the results" response? I always see the dollar signs . . . nothing about getting results requires an office visit, but you don't get that fee if you do it over the phone or by computer.

While I do believe that some of this is fee-driven, I also think there are probably privacy and time and accuracy issues. Our onc/heme's office has the lab right there and we can sit and wait on the CBC results . . . about 10 minutes . . . other tests take longer. But the person performing the draw is the one handing us the result print-out. No question of identity (privacy), no one has to take the time to look up and print out and call (time), and because it is the computer print-out, there is no chance of someone reading the wrong number over the phone (accuracy).

Most everything is computerized these days . . . I know that many offices will give their patients a link specifically to their test results . . . that way the patient has access as soon as the results are posted. Patient controls privacy (don't give anyone else your link), takes no time on the part of the doctor's office (report is in the computer regardless), and the computer assures accuracy.

I also like email with those offices that offer it . . . I have a contact with someone in that office: I send an email requesting test results so there is a written request. My contact has the message on the computer (and can get to it is his/her convenience), which is where the results are likely stored, and can send results with just the click of a button. Very little time compared to doing it all by phone: original call, leave message, contact listens but doesn't have time right then, forgets to go back later, you call again, contact listens and goes to look up and print out report . . . I'm sure you recognize that routine.

I get that there are probably instances where the doctor would prefer to go over lab results personally with a patient rather than having that patient freak out over results they don't understand . . . but that's the exception. And probably anyone dealing with any of the blood issues has a better understanding of the results than some medical professionals.
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].