View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 09:08 PM

my father at First got TTP and now MDS? Is it possible?

Hi all,
This is my first time jump into the forum and I am hoping that I can get some information from here. 4 months ago my father was feeling unwell and almost unconscious so we brought him into hospital and from that day we just know that his all blood count was low and seems not normal. The doctor was recommended us to go to saw hematologist to find out. We went to 3 hematologist and they suggest to do the bone marrow biopsy and the second hematologist said that my father got MDS and need to do some chemotherapy but since my father kidney function/ creatinine level is quite high then he said maybe you check with the kidney Doctor firat and get your kidney function back to normal then we can do the chemo, so we went to the third hematologist and he asked to redo the bone marrow biopsy once again so we done it and after many test including the blood smear and abdomen scan, the doctor said it was not MDS but is TTP (Trombotic Trombocytopenia Purpura). My father done many treatment for the TTP. Plasma exchange and the dr also put him into medication such as Rituximab, Valcade, Cyclosporine, Prednisolone. However, after few months treatment his blood count seems still not improving although dr said that his blood cell already back to normal. Then dr suggest to do another Bone Marrow Biopsy and from there is said my father has Myloproliferatif with Del 20Chromosome and MDS Cell.
And dr suggest that my father doing the chemo using Vidaza (Azacitidine) for 5 days and so he's doing his first chemo and after the 5 days Vidaza all his blood count continue to sink with HB 7,2 Platelet only 5000-6000, WBC become 0.4. Along the way he got many problems such as pneumonia, fungus infection, he got swollen from all the liquid that go inside his body including the platelet and blood transfusion. Now is almost one month post first Azacitidine and still no improvement. The blood count still low and he got blood and platelet transfusion almost every 2 days and he was on NEUPOGEN injection everyday. Recently Dr was order to give him the Nplate to boost his platelet. Is there anyone out there has the same situation? is it possible that from beginning you got TTP and then become MDS?? And did anyone have the same slow response to Vidaza?