View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
Owner

Deb,

We have our fingers crossed for you and Doug and we hope you'll be able to keep us updated.

Thanks for posting some very practical tips.

When my wife had her transplant they made a fuss about our bringing a laptop computer along, making us first get it inspected by their facilities department. I think they were worried that it might produce an electromagnetic field that would interfere with medical equipment. That was a few years back and I'll bet they don't do that anymore. Personal electronics are more common than they used to be and people depend on them more too.

If the hospital provides patients with tablets (e.g., for watching movies) then patients might also use them for email, blogging, etc. If people bring their own phone or tablet or laptop then there's plenty they can do with it.

I'm curious what hospitals do about security. If you bring your own equipment, how do you keep it safe? There are a lot of people wandering around hospitals (staff, patients, visitors, and vendors) and patients are often sound asleep. Is there a safe lockup for personal possessions? Do caretakers need to take all personal electronics away with them between visits? And if the hospital lends you an e-reader or tablet to use, is there a privacy risk when you use it for personal communications like email?

During a transplant, the biggest concerns are the medical ones, but since you brought up the subject it got me wondering about typical hospital policies about electronics.