View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 02:44 PM

Hi Tom, I was diag w/ PNH in Spring of 2011 and had a bmt later that year. I had PNH sympts for close to 10 yrs but mostly ignored them until I became so anemic that I made an appt for a doc check up, blood test etc etc. and got the ball rolling. I know that some research has shown that there may be a link to PNH in respect to chemical exposure, but I don't know how many academic studies have been done regarding the poss link. I will ask my PNH dr and assoc staff; they have a staff of abt 8 dr's so they deal w/ a lot of patients w/ all varieties of blood issues. As far as me and my history, other than cig smoking, my exposure to chems was limited to that of general household exposure. Home repair and re-model, some car repair and maint, etc etc. I was never in the military, and as I stated, my haz mat exposure was pretty limited. As far as my mthrs fam history is concerned, there is a high incident of cancer, at least one great uncle w/ leukemia, an older cousin, (I'm 46), who developed some kind of bone cancer after having throat cancer when she was in her late 50's etc etc. The grt uncle w leukemia did work w/ chems, the older cousin was a heavy smoker, some other relatives didn't take very good care of themselves, etc. PNH is so rare that some med experts would prob say that the subject group would be too small to be accurate or to conclude any common factors and so on. With that, PNH is usually diagnosed in early adulthood, 30-40's, like me. As I said, I will ask my doc and will look online as well. Good luck in your treatment. Mario