View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:46 PM

Hi sbk007,

I understand why you just can't feel optimistic at this point. I won't try to give you the "pep talk".

The prognosis of 15 months is if you have NO treatment. These days there are treatments which alter the life expectancy considerably.

You need to ask the haematologist what phase your trial is in. Personally, if there were other options (such as Dacogen, Vidaza or transplant) I would not enter a phase one or two trial.

If you want another BMB to confirm your diagnosis then, it should be done but its pretty definitive when they definitely found a cytogenetic abnormality (chromosome 7) on your first BMB. Do you know what your blast count is?

If your blast count is high sometimes they like to give Dacogen etc to try to bring the blasts down while also improving your Hb so you don't need as many transfusions.

If you are worried about going through the trial, chemo or transplant alone I think you will find that the treatment centres are very supportive and can put you in touch with organisations who can be there for you if or when you need them.

This is a journey that you have started on and it's going to be a big learning curve.

I wish you all the best

Chirley