Thread: Should I worry.
View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2016, 11:44 AM

Should I worry.

My son started out at the age of 4 he had random symptoms which lead to a referral to A pediatrician who did b/w . Found his hb was slightly low and put him on iron.

it was a constant cycle for a few yrs b/w every few months with hb always rising while on iron but trying to come off it nosebleeds would start (I'm told that's unrelated as his platelets are always normal) and he would be super grumpy and lower energy his hb was never below 100 tho. So we would continue that cycle of on again off again being on iron but his hb would always just come up into the bottom of normal range he would feel better the dr would take him off and we would be back to our grumpy tired kid with nosebleeds 3 to 4 times a month and I would know his hb would b lower again.

This sept we went to a walkin clinc as I felt he was getting lo and didn't want to have him start school feeling bad. This was a different dr then our ped, and he ordered a retic which had never been done the number was 23 normal 40-80 with hb125 and rdw 14.7 only normal being 11.5-14.5 everything else in normal range.

Three weeks later our pedi was back and wanted to recheck. Results were hb 116 hematocrit .35 rbc4.28 rdw 15.0 retic 29. He started him back on iron said maybe they should do a bmb and referred us to a hematologist we saw the hematologist and his blood work at that time was perfect as I expected because he had been taking iron and was feeling fine.he had also been on prednisone for posion ivy before we saw the hemotologist, not sure if that would affect any results.

When we went to see the hematologist it was a "fellow" that we saw and the hematologist that we were to see had previously reviewed all of his b/w sent down prior to our visit with the fellow. I brought the b/w that was done by the outside dr with the initial low retic they didn't have that when they reviewed it. Initially the fellow said they weren't concerned with any of the b/w they got. When I showed the fellow the outside lab work with the retic @23 he went and got the hematologist. His explanation was that he was probably sick and that there will always be abnormalities with b/w. I was concerned about the drop in hb between th the 2 b/w,he went from 125hb to 116 in 3 weeks but the hematologist wasnt concerned about any of it not even the retic so we went home with them saying have him off iron and get CBC in 6 months.

So that's where we are at now he is 7 now and has just had the CBC six months after seeing the hematologist . Results were hb great at 130 Rdw was in red marked high but I'm not sure of the number and the retic is 19,normal bEing 40-80. I haven't heard from his pedi so I am assuming he feels that is fine b/w.He wasn't even going to order any b/w he actually said that he was going to discharge him from his care and do no b/w because they weren't going to do anything about it anyways..... I did ask for the the b/w b/c it has been 6mths since the hematologist saw him and when they said to have it done and so the pedi then ordered it.

I am concerned but do not want to make a mountain out of a molehill. I feel the hematologist didn't have all the b/w when he reviewed it and then brushed it off as one bad result and that he was maybe just had a virus but now with this low retic and slightly high rdw and normal hb six month later should I be concerned at all? Or am I just beating a dead horse and worrying about nothing?