View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:11 PM

sorry, misunderstanding

What I meant to say was that I have a transfusion (4 units) every five weeks. I don't know why the doctors still think it's MDS except that I have had bone marrow biopsies following Fe infusions (before I started getting allergic reactions) and the bone marrow still doesn't increase it's production of red cells. The red cells that I produce don't mature properly and therefore won't carry haemaglobin. There was also something about the (?) MCV, being high instead of low which would be expected in iron deficiency.

The haematologist wants to give me another iron infusion just to see what happens but because of the reaction I get he says he will admit me straight into the Intensive Care Unit for it. However, my skin burns and blisters every time despite steroid and anti histamine premeds and prednisone tablets afterward. This always happens within an hour or two of starting the infusion and I'm not willing to go through the weeks of discomfort and pain again. Last time I went into mild kidney failure as well.

As you would understand I'd much prefer to have Fe deficiency anaemia to MDS. After reading some of the posts, I have to admire the courage that is displayed there. Chirley