View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:57 AM

? Diagnosis of MDS

Chirley,
This appears to be a lot of treatment with no definite diagnosis. With four units of PRBC's per transfusion, one would soon have to address the problem of iron overload. Have you thought of getting a second opinion?? Perhaps from a Center of Excellence.
Best regards, Linda Payne, MDS, RA , 5q-: Dx 1988, Tx with revlimid past four years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme01 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the site, I have not been diagnosed with MDS however the numerous Haematologists I have seen all say my bone marrow biopsy (4) results all suggest MDS without finding any dysplasia. Chromosome analysis normal. I have a chronic anaemia which requires 5 weekly blood transfusions, I also have a consistently low white cell count with both low neutrophils and low lymphocytes. Platlet count has always been normal. This first started 4 years ago when I got severe atypical pnuemonia and the doctors noticed that my white cell count was low and wouldn't respond to the infection.

I have a couple of questions for you. Did anyone else have trouble getting a diagnosis ? My Haematologist wants to do another bone marrow biopsy, this time after giving me 8 to 10 units of blood to try and prod my bone marrow into producing more cells so that he has a better chance of finding dysplastic cells . Has anyone else heard of this before ? My disease is complicated by having iron deficiency of unknown origin and extreme allergic reactions to any form of iron (oral, IV, IM). I prefer to think that my anaemia is simple iron deficiency but the blood test results and bone marrow results don't support this.

Thanks just for being there. Chirley