View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:42 AM

Worried, scared mom

Hi,

We are only 2.5 weeks into this new journey, but we are closer each day to an official diagnosis of aplastic anemia for my three year old son. All his counts have been low since we took him to his pediatrician 2.5 weeks ago after noticing petechiae. He was admitted to Joe DiMaggio Hospital in Hollywood, FL that same day and remained there for three days. We are now doing out patient treatments, and he has already had 3 platelet transfusions (when CBC showed counts below 10) and 1 red blood cell transfusion (when CBC count down to 6.5) and we're awaiting more test results including whether or not my daughter is a bone marrow match for her brother. Please...I can use any words of comfort, advice, doctor info, etc. We love our pediatric hematologist thus far and have great things to say about the staff at Joe DiMaggio's Children's Hospital, but want to ensure our son is getting everything he needs and that we are doing any and everything we can to help him survive this and live a long, healthy life! Right now we're very scared but trying to take things one day at a time and remain positive and hopeful, but it's easier some times than others because I want to be well informed, yet every time I read information on AA, it makes me sad, depressed, and scared.