View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Being just into your 30s you are probably a good candidate for a transplant if you are otherwise healthy. I'm sorry you don't have the benefit of a matched sibling, and deciding between treatments can be hard, but keep in mind that it's a benefit to have multiple options. My wife, who was diagnosed with AA and then with MDS, had an unrelated donor transplant while in her 40s. She was cured. Every patient's situation is different but I think you have multiple reasons to be optimistic.
I'm totally biased because an unrelated, anonymous donor cured me two years ago (I was 30 at the time of the transplant). I'd advise that you start the search for a donor now, even as you go through the ATG, because knowing that you have a 9/10 or 10/10 donor out there will give you peace of mind knowing that you CAN be cured if the ATG doesn't work out.

Matched siblings are best, but a matched, unrelated donor can be very, very good. And my experience was so good that I can't imagine anything could have been better or easier if it was my brother that had been the donor...
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)