View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 03:57 PM

Another cyclosporine "fan"

My doctor wanted to do a second ATG on me after my relapse from the first one. I chose to go back to a "therapeutic" dose of the cyclosporine (CSA) of 200mg twice a day, based on the recommendation of Dr Paquette at UCLA.

At the time, I was receiving 1-2 units of red blood every 2-3 months, and platelets were holding steady in the low 20's (before ATG tx, I was getting 2 units of red blood every 2 weeks, and platelets weekly).

I had one more red blood tx after I started the new dosage. After that, my counts stopped declining and started climbing. Nine months later in May 2009, my hemoglobin was 11 and my platelets were 60k. Today, my hgb is 13 and my platelets are 80k and slowly climbing.

The AA resources state that both ATG and CsA are effective in treating AA, and that the combination is better than either used separately.

That means that CsA alone can be used as treatment. it's just that by the time many AA patients are diagnosed, they need the most effective treatment possible because of their bone marrow status and their ANC level.

For someone with moderate AA (as I was when I saw Dr P), it's my opinion that CsA alone can be a good idea. But CsA does have its downsides!!!! I worry about the increased cancer risk.

Perhaps you can seek another opinion???

Best wishes!!!
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.