View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 1, 2010, 08:49 PM

Hi Brigitta,

Thanks indeed for the very interesting link on astralagus from Sloan Kettering.It was very informative and useful.

I note it does mention a contraindication for the use of astralagus for those on immunosuppresants including cyclosporine. So that should be highlighted to the members here and researched deeper, esp. for anyone contemplating the use of the herb.

However, in the case of my son, the doctor ordered an abrupt stop to the use of cyclosporine a couple of weeks after ATG when a trough test indicate excess cyclosporine until the level reached normal again - and we were given a choice to restart the cyclosporine. We were warned that if we stop the use of cyclosporine, the improving blood counts including platelets might plummet and my son might need to have another round of the ATG later if that occurred.

On the other hand, we had assurances from our complementary master herbalist and MD that the use of the herbs and shark liver oil will sustain the improvement to the blood counts. It was one of the hardest decisions in my life- to restart the cyclosporine or to leave it.

We decided not to re-start the cyclosporine but went along with the herbs and shark liver oil, and indeed in our case,( it might be different in other cases ) we saw the blood counts improving very well instead of plummeting - so that was a great relief to say the least.

Our case might be unorthrodox and the actions we took might even appear "strange" or "bewildering" to others esp those who do not see herbs as a way in assisting in the recovery process, so everyone in need should approach this subject carefully and prayerfully- and with much consideration and discussion with all treating doctors.

Regards,
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.