View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 6, 2013, 12:52 PM

...and to clarify, that was 500-1000 mg of desferal I would receive every night, so about 2500-5000 mg of desferal total each week.

So perhaps it would be good to ask if your husband could have a more frequent chelation regimen. I'm not a medical professional so of course that is just my layperson's thought.

One other thing about chelation, I don't think it is just you who is confused when researching it - I believe there are a variety of opinions among doctors and nurses as it it's efficacy, risks, and benefits. On of my doctors was very proactive in getting me on the intense desferal regimen. My other doctor told me he was afraid it wouldn't work very well, just beat up my kidneys, and he'd rather concentrate on treating the aplastic anemia. And these doctors are both excellent hematologists. In my case both doctors were correct on some level, the desferal worked very well but it did hit my kidneys, so I benefited from having both of their inputs in my treatment.

Like so many other aspects of these blood disorders, often the response of an individual patient to chelation treatment cannot be predicted. But since I'm sure you husband is having regular CBC and blood chemistry tests, I'd think you could try an intense desferal regimen, and monitor closely how he responds.

I wish you and Bob the best in your fight against MDS.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.