Thread: Steroids
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 2, 2016, 04:15 AM

Steroids

Hi, I have bone marrow failure which has not yet been given a definite diagnosis.

I have pancytopenia and have had blood transfusions every month or so for the previous 4-5 months. I've also had Filgrastim injections for my neutrophils. My platelets are only slightly low and haven't required treatment.

I was recently in hospital for investigations for this bone marrow problem and weight loss.

While I was in hospital I was given intravenous and oral steroids and the Filgrastim needles were ceased.

I've been given a blood test request form to have a blood test but I wasn't told how long to wait before I have the test.

Is there a standard period of time for the steroids to wear off so that the neutrophil count is accurate and not still raised due to the drugs? I was not weaned off the steroids, they were just stopped abruptly because I was told I wasn't on them long enough to need to wean.

Will I be able to tell if the steroids have worn off by how soon my fluid retention goes away?

I'm still waiting on the results of tests taken while I was in hospital but I don't have an appointment yet to get the results. I was told there may be a 6-8 week wait. That's okay, but I don't want my neutrophils to drop and be at risk and not now about it.

Thanks for any answers.