Thread: Change in WBC
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 5, 2014, 03:45 PM

Change in WBC

Hi All,
It's been I while since I been on the site, I was sad to see that Cheri had passed away. Her and I would private message each other when she first came on the site. It's heart breaking.

My mom has been battling MDS for about 10 years now, 4 years of real signs and the past 2 years of very serious health issues. We thought we were going to lose her back in January but my mom is a fighter like no other. She is now getting platelets every day (weekends & Holidays included) and they either stay in the low 20,000 or go down even with the daily platelets. She gets blood transfusions averaging about every other week. The thing that has become alarming this week is the jump her WBC count made, it has always been low needing a Neprogen shot at times, it was slowing creeping up these past couple of weeks but two days ago it jumped to 17 and blasts is showing up in her daily blood work. The Dr. wasn't willing to do a bone marrow a couple of weeks ago because of how weak she is and how low her platelets are. She sees him on Tuesday because of the concern with her WBC count.

My question is, at what number is the WBC a leukemia issue? I just want to be prepared a little for the Doctors visit on Tuesday.

Thank you,
Maries daughter, Paula