View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 08:30 PM

Hi Rentzi,

Looking back, I was almost a month after ATG before I needed an RBC transfusion again (prior to ATG, however, I was having transfusions every 4 or 5 days!).

I know you really want to see a quick improvement in those blood counts, but unfortunately, it's going to take time. And trust me, you don't want too rapid of an improvement because studies have shown that "rapid responders" are more likely to relapse. (Although the jury is still out on how much my relapse was caused by my rapid response and fast cyclosporine wean or the undiagnosed thymoma that's coming out in November.)

Try not to get too fixated on the numbers, although I know that's all you have to go on at this point! In the early days, every time I'd have blood drawn, the doc would remind me, "This is just a snapshot of what your blood is doing today." In my experience, the numbers (especially WBCs and neutrophils) are going to bounce all over the place. What you want to see is a steady upward trend.

Thanks for keeping us posted on how your hubby is doing. Hang in there and be patient. It sounds like you have a lot of community support which is wonderful!

Joyce
DX VSAA 11/2012; Treated w/ ATG & CsA; Relapsed 1/2014; DX Thymoma, 8/2014.