View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
Deb,

Steve is right. Zofran or ONDANSETRON HCL 8 MG is the best med for Vidaza. We went through 3 months of another med (Compazine or the generic Prochlorperazine 10 mg) and it didn't work all the time. The nurse explained that even though they both prevent nausea, they do it differently. The first one we tried was for nausea like in motion sickness where Zofran works in the stomach. Not sure I understand it but it works well. The past 4 cycles have been much, much easier.

Bob gets Vidaza injections instead of IV and had just a little redness at the injection sites. No itching at all. The best part about injection is it's quick. In and out of the office in about 15 minutes. His counts do drop but rebound fairly well and no issues.
Liz, Compazine is what the ins co. wanted me to use and so wouldn't approve the 25.00 Zofran generics. I think Zofran cuts whatever it is that triggers the nausea reflex directly by target. Its very popular for morning sickness. The other option was Zofran by IV but that's 20 minutes and wasteful if you can just pop a pill an hour or 2 before the shot or infusion. Bobs lucky to tolerate the shots.