View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:25 PM

Post More diagnostic tests

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. To your point, Marlene, my father has been going through lots of tests in the past 8 weeks to determine if there is internal bleeding and so far there is nothing. They are also looking to see if he has blood and/or heart infection. He is getting the results of the blood cultures today but they've done an echocardiogram which was negative and cultured his blood a few weeks ago with no infection cultured.

Wayne, in response to your questions, I don't have a lot of info on his blood work but could get it. I can't imagine that his blood has been irradiated or received any other special treatment so I'll have to get more info on the points that you made.

I have met his hemo/onc and don't have a lot of confidence in him. He is saying that the MDS hasn't returned because his platelets are good but from my reading, the platelets and white cells can remain stable while the hemoglobin falls.

This is difficult because he's in FL and I'm up north. He's feeling terrible and isn't really capable of advocating for himself but also won't admit that...
I've tried to make suggestions to him and he does listen but then forgets. I've called his doctors myself and they don't return my call. I am a health proxy for him.

I just read about about the new drug vediva (sp?) and am wondering if that could help him at this point. He had been on revlimid and had to get off it because is was causing him severe leg pain.

Susan