View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 1, 2016, 06:49 PM
Owner

Sue,

I'm sorry that anemia is limiting your life this way, but I'm glad to know that you are doing your best to take care of yourself, and that you are studying your options. Which kinds of treatment to consider or when to stick with "watch and wait" is ultimately a personal decision. Doctors can offer recommendations (for example, they may favor watch and wait in low risk cases and drug treatments in high risk cases), but anyone diagnosed with MDS owes it to themselves to learn about their treatment choices, and the tradeoffs involved, so they make the right decision for themselves.

Feel free to ask questions here. For example, many patients here have received blood and platelet transfusions, so if you are interested in their experiences they can share what they know about the pros and cons.

I know there are at least a few Marrowforums members in Edmonton, including NoreenH, Symon, Lamilu, djross, Chris A, and smarchesin, although only a couple of them have been active in the forums recently. Have you checked with the Aplastic Anemia & Myelodysplasia Association of Canada about finding other people in Edmonton?