Thread: Fludrocortisone
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 04:27 AM

Fludrocortisone

Hi, I am taking a reasonably small dose of Fludrocortisone of 0.1 mgs a day.

I take this to increase my blood pressure.

I have gained 5 kgs over the last 10 days and I feel this is all fluid. I have also been told to have a high salt diet and take a half a salt tablet a day as well.

Over the last few days I have developed edema of my lower legs and feet. My hands are puffy and my face is round and my eyes so swollen that the right eye is hard to keep open. This morning when I got out of bed, I found my chest felt heavy and when I coughed it sounded like it had fluid in my lungs. This improved after being up and around for a while. I rarely pass urine.

I went to see my GP and he said that the F/cortisone was like a strong prednisone and that I was getting Cushing Disease symptoms but that I had no choice but to take the tablet. He took my BP and it was 90/50 so I'm not so sure the tablet is working anyway. (yes, maybe it would be a lot worse without it, I don't know).

I have an appointment for copper treatment on the 30th April and I know I'll get a blood test then but I'm getting worried that at the rate the fluid is increasing , I'm going to start getting medical complications. After just having spent weeks in hospital I really want to avoid any more problems.

My GP didn't offer any advice or treatment, but he was sympathetic and comforting.

Should I be worried, or should I trust they know what they are doing?

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion