Thread: Big decision
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 1, 2013, 01:29 AM

Decision to stop working

Hi Chirley,
Just to let you know that you are not alone in this situation. I am living in Western Europe. I had to stop working completely because of sudden health problems and the proper institution after checking my health gave me 100% disability. But I was only 31 at that time so I was in shock & didn't want to accept it. I still don't...It's not a sentence for life, not in my age !!! so I am fighting...
It's been almost 6 years now and I am still not better, in fact - worse (my bad luck?). But I never lose hope that somehow I will lift myself up & go back to normality which I miss so much...
I receive 70% of my last salary which is decent enough but I am worried about my pension because I don't build any during the time I am not working.
I lost my flat, my career, my family & friends walked away after I got ill. So I am pretty much isolated, in yet another new country (language barrier is also a difficulty especially when talking medical language) but I have decided to stay here period. My friends & family know as little as possible. I would only get blamed even more for everything and how big "screw-up" I am which isn't really encouraging and does not help to recover...
What helps with coping is the following:
1) knowing that I am not alone in a situation like this (there are other ppl in the world)
2) knowing/hoping that "it will get better", especially when I suffer enormously, the fact that eventually it has to stop/get less painful, really helps
3) holding on to a hope/dreams that I will go out of this and start again/rebuild my life, resume my career or start sty new and that "it's never to late" (even though at this particular moment I feel like my life is finished, but that's because I don't have support from others just only more stress and more reminding me what a loser I am)

People try to force me to religious practices but that's not what I need and it makes me very frustrated. I need just simple human empathy. Some little bit of support from my family would be nice. But..."you can't always get what you want"...