View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:52 PM

Trying to decide on BMT or 2nd ATG

Hello i have been following along on most of your experiences on here. Your stories have educated me more than any other webpage about AA. Thank you for sharing! This is my first post. My brother was diagnosed w/SAA 12/10 had Horse ATG 12/10. He is close to day 60 post ATG. He had a very serious battle with an infection in his arm but recovered. His last CBC w-2.2 neutro's-1400 p-9 and h-8.1. A week ago his whites were at 8.0 with 70% neutro's so they stopped his shots. He gets transfusions of platelets every 3 days and hem. once a week. They have apparently found a perfect non-sibling match but it has not been confirmed that they have contacted him and he is willing. His doctor told him yesterday that he does not know yet what he would recommend for the next step. The next 30 days will tell us more. At this time he has decided that if the donor is available he will go with the BMT. He is not in favor of another round of ATG. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced platlets and hem. taking longer to respond? And what you might do if you had to decide between BMT with a perfect non-sibling match or ATG. I appreciate your comments and good luck with your battle.