View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:55 AM

Question "Abnormal" Bone Marrow Result but no diagnosis

Hi

I hope that you don't mind me posting - I have recently had a BMB due to mixed blood test results particularly over the last year or so - Low WBC & RBC, Low HG readings, Low B12 (was given B12 loading treatment successfully) and apparently have always run a little "below normal" since 2007 - but only been aware of symptoms for the last 18 months or so - starting with hair loss, constant sore throats, fatigue and light headedness constantly.

4 weeks ago the Haemotologist decided that a BMB was appropriate as even though the B12 levels were within range my MCV was running high and HG was 11.4, WBC 2.7, neutrophils 1.6x10 9l.

The reason for my posting is that when I went back to get my result he said that the BM result was not normal but "No Diagnosis" they did not know why and that he was hesitant to diagnose MDS at this stage because of the implications to me and wants to follow a "watch and wait" treatment.

I am still waiting for a copy of the BMB results and a copy of his letter to my GP (any day now). My confusion, as always when you come home and think about these things is what part of the test was abnormal?

Whilst I do not want to have a positive diagnosis, obviously, and I am a little embarrassed to post this question to you when you are living with a positive diagnosis, but I wondered if any of you had had a similar experience i.e. an abnormal bone marrow result but no diagnosis prior to being positively diagnosed? I would be really grateful to hear.

Last edited by Pdaw : Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM.