View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 8, 2007, 04:36 PM

I knew you were the professional on this, Wendy !

Hi Wendy,
I even took your previous post on this to my
hem/ onc. If the doc's responsibility ends when he orders the transfusion, how do you handle this situation ? I have made the request to the oncologist, the nurses at the infusion center, asked my GP about it ( and of course it's now out of his hands ) and asked the NP who ordered the last tx to request fresh blood. I know she did it because at the time of the tx when they brought the expired blood and were matching the bag to my arm band, they did not read aloud the expiration date and that immediately alerted me. SO I climbed up and read it myself!

Who is responsible for seeing that we people get the fresh stuff- who can you complain to, beg and try and get the fresh blood ? Anything I have found on this says it's totally done as a courtesy by the blood bank if it does not intefere with their inventory procedures. Everyone tries to blame it on the blood bank but how do you reach them ? When I asked my oncologist what you have to do to get fresh blood he looked at me funny and I'm guessing very truthfully said " know someone ". Well I don't know anyone !

I am B+ which I know is not the most common and they give me both B+ and B-, sometimes both the same and sometimes one of each. I know you contacted someone to order the freshest ahead of time, but I'm pretty much advocating for myself and they already hate to see me coming because my veins are so tiny and I request the best nurse. Then I even tried taking them baked brownies smothered in chocolate frosting and nuts but even that hasn't worked : )

I don't think the blood bank, doctors or anyone involved really believe it makes a difference and I can't find a darn thing on the subject other than your posts to back up my belief that this does make a huge difference. I am convinced by the way I feel. I would barely have known I had these last 4 transfusions.

I see the doctor next week and would like to somehow be prepared to show him facts and figures- not just my say so which results in them just thinking I'm being a thorn in their backside.

Have you ever found anything in writing to back us up ?

Thanks, Wendy, and anyone else who might be able to provide assisance.

Valerie MDS- 1993