View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:36 PM

More expensive private coverage

Hi Kate,
Thank-you kindly for taking the time to give your thoughtful response to my questions about private insurance in Canada.

Since my husband feels well and is in a watch and wait situation, it is easy to forget that his needs in the future will likely be very different, at some point.
Our current private health insurance has a limit of $1500/every 2 years for inhome private nursing care. The more expensive health insurance that we can opt into has $10,000 annual coverage for inhome private nursing care.
Taken together, the difference in drug coverage and nursing care, the more expensive plan is clearly much more comprehensive.

On Jan. 28, 2013, we should be getting a more comprehensive picture of my husband's situation. In addition to meeting with his MDS doctor, there should be a report back from the transplant team in Ottawa, whom we met with in Oct. 2012.

Thank-you again Kate for your thoughtful and very helpful response.
Ann
Ann, wife of David age 74, dx RAEB-1 in April 2012, cytogenetics - good (no detected mutations), 6% blasts in bone marrow, hemoglobin - 12.1 WBC - 1.7; platelet count - 98; ANC - 0.5, watch and wait diagnosis