View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2013, 07:13 PM

Hi, I also had white cell problems long before any other cell lines. I too, only found out I had a problem when I got pneumonia and my white cell count was very low.

After a year or so I also developed anaemia requiring transfusions. My diagnosis at that time was cyclical neutropenia with iron deficiency anaemia. I had a number of BMBs some of which showed no iron stores and some of which showed normal iron stores. I kept being told that my MCV was high and that wasn't in keeping with iron deficiency and that they suspected MDS.

It was nt until 7 years later that my BMB finally showed unequivocal MDS. Because I required blood transfusions every two weeks, I was started on Vidaza but the MDS progressed and the blast count increased and for the first time my platelets were also effected. I started being worked up for BMT.

Fortunately (???) , I developed a neurological problem, more investigations were done and I was found to have copper deficiency. Once this deficiency was corrected the MDS went away. Whenever my copper level drops the MDS returns.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion