View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 7, 2012, 10:40 AM

floaters

Hi,
After a serious rubbing of my eyes in November of 2010, before any signs of my MDS, I experienced the floaters and bright flashes in my eyes. I quickly made an appt with an eye dr as I was concerned about a detached retina. She informed me that as we age, the fluid behind the eyes begins to dry up and sometimes crack. The floaters never go away, only our brain overcompensates and we will not be bothered by them. She explained that a dr examining my eyes will see that they are still there, even if we no longer see them.
Shortly after my transplant my vision was very poor to the point I could not read. Since then, I have regained my vision and can read. I am due for a new prescription as it changed greatly after my Vidaza treatments in Sept - through Dec of 2011. My eyes were checked in Jan 2012 prior to my transplant. We decided to wait on a new prescription as my vision would probably change again after the transplant. I am scheduled for a new appt shortly.
Currently, I occasionally have a large floater, just float by, but I have noticed that when red blood counts are so low that I am due for a red blood transfusion (below 8 HMB), I get black stars flashing in my vision.

I too am experiencing gastroparesis. My dr. has long believed it may be slight GVHD. After reviewing on line my symptoms, I informed the dr.I have diagnosed it as gastroparesis. Bloating, no appetite, nothing moves quickly through my esophogus, or stomach, and frequently leaves my body in the same identifiable color, shape and form as it was eaten. No digestion has taken place. I am managing by being able, once again, to drink Ensure and try to puree all I eat. Bananas, canned pears. I have recently discovered that a boiling can of chicken broth with an equal amt of water added is a good base for me to add a couple of mixed raw eggs slowly to make a simple egg drop soup is helping to get some protein in my system. I have also read that Prednisone can cause digestive problems. I am down to 2.5 mg of Predinose every other day, and once off that, I will continue to
reduce Cyclosporine of which I currently take 130mg 2x a day. I plan to bring to the dr. a probiotic which I took daily before my diagnosis and see if she approves of it now in assisting digestion. Previously I took it for regularity.
All of the meds, chemo, and the transplant have got to have a serious effect on the good bacteria in the body which assists digestion!

Good luck

Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.