View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 2, 2010, 12:36 AM

Post ATG

Dear Lamilu,

ATG is not an easy treatment, and to have other medical issues going on, I'm sure, only complicates matters. The rigors, fever, hives - have they evaluated her for serum sickness because of the ATG?

Your Mom will probably still get transfusions fairly frequently (every two-three weeks) until the ATG kicks in. In my experience, it wasn't until almost six months post-ATG, that I could go a month in between them.

All of the different meds she is taking are to help ameliorate the side effects of the Cyclosporine, and they will decrease as she eventually tapers off the Cyclosporine. Make sure they monitor the level of Cyclo in her blood (blood is drawn just before your next dose) so she is not taking more than she needs.

The next few weeks will not be easy, but encourage your Mom to hang in, she will feel better. One last thought - I never had Neupogen shots for the WBC. My counts tended to bounce up and down, so I have always been very careful in public, and avoided situations where I might encounter risks of infection.

Best wishes to your Mom, and let us know how she progresses.