View Single Post
Old Thu May 5, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
I hadn't read about the higher chances of negative bone marrow effects with rabbit ATG. Good to know.

In the past, after a non-response to horse ATG, doctors often weighed the choice between a second round of horse or a first round of rabbit. Campath offers another alternative, and perhaps the preferred choice in many cases, as for your mother.
Campath is used to treat MS and other autoimmune diseases. Dr. Young says it works similarly to ATG, but yet very differently. Rabbit-atg is just a stronger version of horse-atg. He prefers to use something "different", as he thinks it is much more likely to work. He is just not keen on rabbit-atg for my mother.

Remember - we're just being told this info by another hematologist who consults with Dr. Young.

Yes, repeating atg (rabbit or horse) poses a risk of negative bone marrow effects (cytogenetic changes, etc.). Campath does not. That's what I understand.

By the way, my mother's hematologist consulted a second doctor at the NIH, and she recommended Campath, too.

We're also now considering the possibility of high-dose Cytoxan, as recommended by Dr. Brodsky, another expert in aplastic anemia. He has his own take on the matter, but that's why you consider second/third opinions, etc.

But that's it: Campath, or Cytoxan.