View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellypoo View Post
I was THE healthiest person everyone knew when I came down with MDS. I was running 30km every week in addition to walking 6km back and forth to work every day. I lifted weights at the gym in addition to frequent heavy lifting while renovating our boat. I drank maybe once a week, and I cooked the vast majority of my own meals with organic fruit and veg, and I never ate red meat (mostly because I just don't like the stuff!). I can't even remember the last time I ate fast food, but it must've been at least 10-15 years ago. I was a few months' shy of 30, and the picture of health.

The suggestion that patients can fix their bone marrow through diet alone, or the implication that an unhealthy lifestyle brings this upon patients is absolutely insulting and makes me very angry. The only thing articles like this do is to delay patients from seeking actual treatments for their disease and lines the coffers of bogus macrobiotic "doctors" and "naturopths" promoting this drivel.

I'm tempted to send this to Bad Science and let Ben Goldacre (an actual doctor and researcher) have a field day.
I completely understand. My dad was always healthy throughout his life, and this diagnosis surprised us as well. I'm curious about what Ben Goldacre would have to say about this too.