Thread: Sepsis
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 4, 2009, 12:55 PM

Ilene,

Infections will eat up platelets and red cells so that is not unusual. In fact, all three lines can crash with infections and it takes awhile for the BM to recover from it. Why does the doctor think the sepsis will come back? Does she have a central line or picc line in that may be source of the infection? Do they know the source?

I would not expect to see a response from the ATG so soon and neither should your doctor. And I don't understand why he would do a BMB so soon. Many do not respond to ATG until 6 mos to 1 year out from treatment.

John too had sludge in his gall bladder for the same reason. He finally had to go on IV nutrition because he couldn't eat. IV nutrition has its challenges also. I would ask them about doing an NG tube (feeding through a tube into the tummy) and TPN (IV nutrition) to see if either is an option to help get her over the crisis.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.