View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:24 AM

Hi Stacerph,

I'm SAA, and was treated with ATG/Cyclosporine in April 2008. Six months post-ATG, I was averaging 3 1/2 weeks between transfusions. At the one-year mark, I could go close to two months between transfusions. June 2009, fourteen months post-treatment, was my last transfusion. I hit 11.2 on my Hgb a week ago, and I've been feeling great. MY WBC was close to 4, and my platelets were at 49K - all around good numbers for me.

I think I would have been very discouraged if I had felt that I should respond in the first three months, or I wouldn't respond at all. I'm living proof that some people respond late to ATG. I was offered the possibility to re-treat at twelve months, decided to wait out the summer, and was very glad I did.

A final note - I don't know how low your son's numbers were just before treatment, but I was being transfused with platelets and/or PRBC almost every two weeks pre-ATG, so I had a long way to go to get my numbers anywhere near normal. I'd suggest giving it a few months, or seeking a second opinion on a transplant. Best of luck, and hang in there!