View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 10:18 AM

Hi!

It's too early to worry so much. You should wait at least 4 mo, if not 6 before going to the next step. How old is your son? If he is a child, I however agree with your doctor's opinion that the next step should be transplant, not second ATG. It never hurts to start the donor search as early as possible, since this is a long and tedious process. You can always have the option of turning around if his counts improve.

My son was 4.8 years old when he was diagnosed with very severe AA on Nov 19, 2006 (counts at diagnosis: WBC 3.8, HGB 10.5, MCV 85.7, PLT 5, ANC 0.1) He had the ATG treatment on Dec. 5. His ANC was at 0 until Jan 9, 2007, then it went to 0.2 on Jan 12. I clearly remember the doctors being worried about his ANC staying at 0 for so long, that's when we did a preliminary search and found no good donors. Fortunately, his counts continued to increase. He had his last transfusions (both plt and rbc) on Feb 6. At that point his ANC was 0.6. After that, his ANC fluctuated for a long time between .7 and 1.4. Today his counts are in normal range.

Take care,
Sandra