View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:06 AM

Greg,

I have not seen any statistics on the percentage of people that match. I am a euro mix - german, french, irish, english, probably something else in there, and they were able to find 3 10/10 matches that were confirmed, and another couple that looked good.

My understanding is that the european background is pretty good because of the number of participants on the registry world-wide.

As for the 8/10 match, Johns Hopkins has been doing some good work with haploidentical matches (5/10) with pretty good success, and there are a number of cord-blood studies that are working with less than perfect matches with good success as well. The main challenge is that GVHD tends to be worse with less than 10/10 matches and becomes one of the key challenges to survival after transplant.

That being said, depending on your status and your response to existing treatment, these may both be good options if necessary.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.