View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 01:04 PM

Greg,

I had an 8/10 unrelated transplant in January 2012 at North Shore LIJ hospital in NY where they have been doing transplants over 25 yrs. My transplant dr. called it a "perfect match" because she said 8/8 is the required match format now. I have Anglo background, with possible American Indian too and was immediately sent a match from within the US.
(I do have questions as to how in depth a search was done, as I believe they took the first match that was sent them). At the time, I had asked why they did not request additional matches, and the response was "expense" was a major concern. (This baffles me as we had money put aside, and 2 excellent insurance programs). I have been my only advocate, and was very sick and exhausted, otherwise I would have better answers!

I have encountered some GVHD, slight on skin, Acute, and some intestestional, Chronic, which has caused some problems, although not life threatening. My transplant nurse is of the school that a "little GVHD" is a good thing to get. I have been also dealing with the problem of my O type blood not flipping over to the donor's A type blood, Causing me to continue to have low HGB and needing transfusions regularly until the "flip" occurs. Looking backward, I would recommend you
research and review exactly what sort of matches are available and whether the blood type is a match or not.

I am older, just turned 65 and the disease came on suddenly, with no response to Vidaza, other than CBC counts crashing.

Six months after, I am starting to get some energy and life back, it has not been an easy journey, but doable!

Hope this information is helpful.

Donna J.
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.