View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:56 PM

Hi Greg,

i am currently on vidaza every month and was initially told that a SCT would happen within 4-6 months. However when no match was found the doctors said "the risk of undergoing an 8 out of 10 transplant currently outways the risk of staying on the vidaza" the risk with vidaza I believe is that even if it does work then it can stop working at any time and you can crash back to where you started from or worse . Are you currently on any treatment?

Well ... fingers crossed for you that your siblings are a match! I also read somewhere that if they find a match on the registery it is only about a 50% chance that the person will still agree to donate and/or still in a position health wise to donate. but not sure about actual percentage. Honestly until this happened to me I never knew it was so hard to find a match!.

Doctor also said that cordblood transplant wasnt a great option because a. you need at least 2 or more lots depending on your size, and b. Australia just doesnt have the stores that other countries do and transporting it is more difficult for some reason than normal stem cells???

Will have to ask my doctor about which out of the 10 match etc.. promising to hear that others have had less perfect matched transplants and are doing well..

Sharnie