View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:14 AM

I live in Brisbane Australia and have been attending the haematology clinic at a major teaching hospital, hence the numerous haematologists. I now see a private physician and have my blood transfusions in a private hospital. The last haematologist I saw was invited to consult by my physician who wanted some extra input. It was this haematologist who suggested the hyperinfusion and the repeat iron infusion. Since then I have had a nuclear medicine scan which has shown a "hot spot" in my R kidney, so there may be another reason for my blood dyscrasias. Hopefully, it will turn out to be something treatable. Keeping my fingers crossed.
By the way, I am homozygous for MTHFR genotype which makes me at risk for vascular disease and arterial thrombosis (never had a problem). I take 5 mgs folic acid every day to prevent any problems and blood tests show that I have lots of B12 and folate on board.
Oddly enough I'm almost looking forward to my next visit, just to see if my kidney could be the cause of the problem.